Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Happy February!

Over the years, I have not been very good at decorating for all the different holidays.  My kids always complain about my lack of Halloween decor (I hate Halloween!).  But most of the time, I just feel like all my time and money is going into our everyday decorations...the lamps or side tables we still need...or the perfect piece of art work we are still searching for.  This year really isn't that different...but I happened across some really cheap and fun Valentine's ideas and a great clearance aisle at Hobby Lobby.  So our house actually looks like it's February!

I made this little heart frame out of crepe paper roses (that's a tutorial over at House of Smith's). 


I got the frame at IKEA.  It is perfect for this project because it is a deeper shadow box frame.  I ran into Robert's Craft and grabbed a few papers that I thought might work.  I had the hardest time deciding but finally went with the Valentine words paper.  The crepe streamers are from the Dollar Store.  Two rolls for $1.  You can't beat that!


I hand drew a heart onto the paper and started gluing the hearts on with a hot glue gun.  To help them lay more flat, I cut off the bottoms of each rose and used some glue to hold the back of each rose together.  At this step, I was glad I own a low-temp glue gun!  ; )


 When I was at Hobby Lobby, I found this adorable hollow glass candlestick.  I've been meaning to get a red or pink candle for it (it has a little lip at the top edge to hold a candle), but I think it looks adorable with the candy in it.  I was gone for 24 hours over the weekend and somehow about 2 inches of the candy disappeared...or maybe it just settled?  ; )  I suspect that won't be the last time it needs some refilling! 






 Now, I am working on some hanging balls with the crepe roses to take the place of the snowflakes.   I made a lot of roses on my little get-away (when I wasn't eating!), but I still have a lot more to make so I can cover multiple balls. 



I found these letters at Hobby Lobby for 50% off.  OF COURSE, they were missing the V in the pink (they only had pink, green, and black), so I bought a black V and spray painted it red.  These sit on my piano...when it's not being played by one of my girls or any of my piano students!









This frame was a hideous gold thing that I found at Ross a couple weeks ago.  But I loved the shape of it and knew I'd like it once it got spray painted.  The print was free here.  
Hope you have a great February!  And a wonderful Valentine's Day!

1 comment: